Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Writing Down the Bones: Scene Analysis

I found another great tip sheet to tell you about. This one is done by Casey Kelly and it was part of a film seminar. I find it helpful to learn from all areas of the writing world - you never know what you can learn.

I love what Casey says about that rough draft. "Writer beware! Don't analyze a scene before you write it - the gut is much smarter than the brain during early drafts." So true! I know I have gotten bogged down in trying to pick the perfect word with my first draft when I know it will grow and change as I edit. Now I just write and not worry about that perfect word. It will come later.

Casey tells us to ask questions when we're ready to edit (and I have totally rewritten the questions to give them a bit of an update. I also combined a few):

1.)  Does your scene show the world you have created? Does it draw your reader in? Does is show when it is happening and where it is happening?

2.) Are you starting the scene in middle of the action?

3.)  Have you introduced your characters in a way that will make your readers want to bond with them?

4.) Does your character grow as your book moves along? Can your reader see that growth?

5.) Does that action reveal new character traits?

6.) What issues come about from that action? How does your character react to what is happening in the scene?

7.) How does the scene move your plot forward?

8.) Does it reflect the tone and moods of your MS?

9.) Have you given the information needed to your readers without data dumping?

10.) Is your dialogue strong? Does it move the plot along?

11,) Have you done the proper foreshadowing? Leaving the proper hints for your readers throughout your MS?

12.) Does the scene make sense? Does it do its job without being obvious?

13.) (this is the only one that is close to word per word and we've all heard this) Does your scene have a beginning, middle and end?

14.) Have you made the goal hard to reach for your characters? In your scene have you shown how difficult it will be to achieve this goal?

15.) When the scene ends will it make your reader want to turn the page?

No comments:

Post a Comment