Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Saturday, January 24, 2015

Meet My Latest Guest Beverly Bateman

I want to welcome Beverley Bateman. First I’d love you to introduce yourself.

I’m Canadian. I live in the Okanagan Valley in beautiful British Columbia with my husband and two Shiba Inu dogs. It’s beautiful country here. There are mountains, lakes, beautiful beaches, apple, pear, apricot and peach orchards, plus raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and lots of other fresh produce. You can shop at little stalls on farms and orchards. It’s also wine country where we produce world class wines, which I feel is my obligation to sip while I write my Romantic Suspense and Medical Thrillers. My latest books include the Hawkins’ Family series – Hunted and Missing. My Assistant PI Holly Devine series set in Florida: A Cruise to Remember and A Murder to Forget. And my chat room murders, where my reference was a sheriff in Reno who worked the chat rooms - Don’t Go.

Tell us about your latest release.

My latest release is A Cruise to Remember.
It’s the first in my Holly Devine, Assistant PI series. My husband and I were on a cruise and I thought it would be cool to write a story set on a cruise ship. There are also so many jewel stores in the Caribbean for the tourists I thought jewel theft should be part of it.  The rest of it just kind of came together, you know, those voices in my head. 

Now I have a few questions for you – I have found readers do like to know fun things about us writers.
1.) Who is your favorite villain – it can be from a book (even one of yours), movie or TV show. And why?

I’m not really a fan of villains, so I’m going to pick one that makes me laugh – Wile E. (Ethelbert) Coyote. He tries so hard to kill the roadrunner and is so incompetent. Everything backfires on him. And there’s no conversation. It’s all visual. I love it.

2.) Who is your favorite character out of your books? Why?

I think I’m going to say Lillian, from A Cruise to Remember. She’s a secondary character. She’s been widowed for three years and has early Alzheimer’s. She’s wealthy, warm, friendly, a kleptomaniac and she enjoys manipulating the lives of others, but in a good way.  

3.) What do genre do you write? What made you pick that one?

I write mostly romantic suspense. I love romance and HEA endings, but I also love murder, mayhem and dead bodies. This way I can write both.

4.) What are you working on now?

I’m working on a serial killer who haunts teen chatrooms. The heroine is a Washoe County detective, who works chatrooms to catch and convict those trying to meet teens. My resource was an actual detective who worked the chatrooms. The hero is a Reno police officer who doesn’t want to work this case. They start out like oil and water, but have to work together to save a girl’s life and find a serial killer. Together they help the other grow while tracking down the killer.

5.) What got you to start writing?

Like so many authors, I’ve been writing most of my life. I can’t remember when I wasn’t making up stories, even in my head. I used to make up stories with my dolls. Then I’d write short stories and ghost stories. I wrote locked room mysteries when they were popular. I have books filled with ideas and plots. It’s kind of an addiction.

6.) Where do you get your ideas from?

I honestly don’t know. It might be something I see, or I belong to a Kiss of Death writing chapter and I do a tour once a year – often police, homeland security, fire departments, ATF, FBI and lots of other interesting places. I get lots of ideas from there. It might be something I read in the paper or even a thought that hits me. What if…?

7.) What would people who read your work be surprised to find out about you?

Hmm, that’s an interesting question. Maybe that I’m a Canadian since my stories are all set in the US.

8.) Do you have any special talents?

No. I do watercolor painting, Tai chi and ran a half marathon but I don’t consider any of that a talent. It’s just stuff I do.

9.) What was the one piece of advice you received when you were an aspiring author that has stuck with you? Why?

I got a lot of good advice from other writers and editors. I think the one that sticks with me is write every day. I had a spell where I wasn’t writing. I had too many things to do that all came before my writing, but I wanted to write. I took a class to see if I could break through my block. We were assigned partners and had to be accountable to them to write every day. I used my usual excuses and she said to me – ‘take 10 minutes before you go to bed and write. You don’t have to have a chunk of time to write, like two or three hours. Just write – even ten minutes.’ It worked, and I still use it when I start procrastinating.

10.) If you could talk to any famous figure (present, past or fictional) who would it be and what would you talk about?

I think I’d say Kathryn Hepburn. I loved her as an actress, but I respected her life. She was a fascinating person. She was independent back in the 30’s and did her own thing as a young woman. Long before many of us were fighting for equality. She never married and she continued to act into her eighties. I would ask her about her life, what she felt was important for women to do to live successfully and maybe why she never married.

11.) What song would you say describes your life?

Pick Yourself Up - Pick yourself up - Take a deep breath, / Dust yourself off. / And start all over again.
Rejections, mistakes, whatever doesn’t work out I just learn from it and move on.

12.) If you could come back as any animal – what would it be?

That’s hard. My two favorite animals are pandas and wolves, but I’m not sure I’d want to be one. I write dogs into most of my books, so maybe I’ll stick with that. I’ll be a Shiba Inu.



Blurb:
Amnesia, a cruise ship, a jewel theft ring and attempted murder combine to make it a cruise to remember. Hallie Donald has been in an accident and has amnesia. She’s traveling on the cruise as a companion. And someone is trying to kill her.
She doesn’t remember anything but someone, Interpol agent Eric Norby searches for jewel thieves on a Caribbean cruise, but his main suspect is the woman he loves.

Excerpt:
She leaned back slightly, and Eric’s jacket slipped to the deck. Bending to pick it up she felt rather than heard a buzzing sound, something like a mosquito, around her left ear.
Strange.
As she sat back up she noticed a hole in the back of the deck chair.
Funny, I don’t remember it being there before I picked up the jacket.
She ran her finger over the hole and shrugged, turning her attention toward Eric as he approached.
“Here we go.” Eric carried a couple of tall, colorful drinks consisting of a mixture of red, orange, and yellow colors and topped off with parasols. “What were you doing?”
“I’m not really sure. There was a funny sound, like a mosquito, and I think this hole just appeared.”
“What the hell...?” Eric placed the drinks on a nearby table. He ran his finger over the hole. “It’s a bloody bullet hole.”
“A what? You’re kidding?”
“No, I’m not. Where were you when it happened?” Eric looked at the hole, squinting back in the direction it would have come from.
“I guess that’s when I bent down to pick up your jacket.”
“My God, you could have been killed.” Eric pulled Holly into his arms, squeezing her against his chest. “You’re sure you’re all right?”
“I think so. I mean, I wasn’t hit or anything. I just can’t figure out what’s happening. This has to be one of the worst nights of my life.” She relaxed against Eric’s strong, muscular chest, feeling secure and safe.
“I’ll report this to the Captain; make sure it gets to the right authorities.”
“Uh, uh, uh...” Holly couldn’t speak. Her eyes widened as she realized the implications. She shivered as ice water dripped slowly through her veins.
What if that was really a push earlier and now this--someone taking a shot at me? Why? What kind of person am I that someone wants me dead?
“Are you sure you’re going to be all right?”
Holly’s teeth chattered.
Eric tipped her chin up, brushing her hair gently off her face. He kissed her forehead. “It’s okay. I’m here. It’s okay.” He moved his hands gently over her shoulders, checking for any injuries.
“I-I don’t understand. Could it have been an accident?”
“I don’t think so.”
 Eric stroked her cheek gently, trying to calm her. “There aren’t a lot of gunshot accidents on the deck.”
“So someone deliberately tried to kill me, but why?”
“Maybe it has to do with your past?”
“But I don’t have a past. How could that have anything to do with it?”
“Maybe they’re afraid you’ll remember your past and want to make sure you don’t. Or maybe you made some enemies in your past. Who knows? We’ll probably have to wait until your memory returns to find out. Now sit down.” Eric kissed her cheek and gently pushed her into a chair away from the railing.
“It’s too much--first Jack, then a gunshot and I think someone tried to push me overboard. I even had a flashback in between.”
Eric took her hand. “Someone tried to push you overboard?”
“I think so. It could have been accidental, but after this, I’m not sure.”
“I’ll take you back to your cabin and report it. We need to check and see whose onboard that might be capable of this.”
“I guess.”
 “Come on, you need a good night’s sleep. So you’re beginning to remember?”

Buy Links for A Cruise to Remember:
Barnes & Noble http://bit.ly/1bfHaeQ
Where to find me:
Twitter @kelownawriter


Thanks so much for having me Barb. This was fun.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Beverly, great interview and cover. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love learning more about you Beverly and your books! Tweeted!

    ReplyDelete