Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Saturday, March 21, 2015

Please Welcome My Newest Guest Jacquie Biggar!

I want to welcome Jacquie Biggar! First, I’d love you to introduce yourself.

From the time I was twelve years old, I knew I wanted to be a writer.

I grew up, got married, raised a family and left my writing urges to simmer in the background unattended.

I owned and operated a successful diner in my hometown for a number of wonderful years before deciding to live my dream of becoming an author.

My first book, Tidal Falls, a romantic suspense novel about second chances, released September of 2014.

Tell us about your latest release.

My latest release, The Rebel’s Redemption, is the story of Jared Martin and Annie Campbell. Jared first shows up in Tidal Falls and insisted on his own book. What choice did I have? <g>

Annie Campbell has made a good life for her and her young son in the mountain town of Tidal Falls. She’s dating the sheriff, owns a successful business, and has the support of the community.

So why isn’t it quite enough?

Jared Martin left Tidal Falls a hotheaded youth, and now, after eight years in the military, he returns a bitter, disillusioned man.

Then he finds out he’s a father.

When an old enemy follows and causes mayhem in the small town, can Jared overcome the odds to protect the woman he’s always loved and the child he never knew, or will it be too late?

Now I have a few questions for you – I have found readers do like to know fun things about us writers.

1.) Who is your favorite villain – it can be from a book (even one of yours), movie or TV show. And why?

I’d have to say Red from The Blacklist on TV. He’s irreverent, immoral, and sometimes violent. But yet, to those he cares about, he’ll do anything in his power to protect and cherish them. He’s the perfect anti-hero.

2.) Who is your favorite character out of your books? Why?

Definitely Jared from The Rebel’s Redemption. He’s sarcastic, smart, loyal, and a little screwed up. His character just leaps off the page and grabs your heart.

3.) What do genre do you write? What made you pick that one?

Romantic suspense. I’ve always gravitated to books where the suspense has a strong part of the plotline. The hero and heroine have to overcome seemingly overwhelming odds to achieve a HEA in the end.

4.) What are you working on now?

I’m currently working on the third book in The Wounded Hearts series, Twilight Theatre. This is Ty Garrett’s story. Ty is an old friend of Jared’s. He stayed in Tidal Falls, their hometown, and made a career for himself in the restoration business. He’s hired to renovate the old Twilight Theatre for his ex-girlfriend’s upcoming wedding. When she turns up in town early, emotions get out of hand. Then accidents begin happening on the jobsite. Can Ty contain his feelings long enough to get the job done? And who is trying to sabotage his work?

5.) What got you to start writing?

I began back in grade school with an English assignment. I couldn’t come up with any ideas and time was running out for turning it in, I was desperate. My mom had this vase of daffodils sitting on the table and all the sudden I came up with my story, Count Daffodil. It received the highest mark in my grade and was read out to the school through the loudspeaker. Needless to say, I was hooked.

6.) Where do you get your ideas from?

My ideas come from current events I’ve heard or read about. Something will catch my eye and then the what ifs begin, and so the storyline forms.

7.) What would people who read your work be surprised to find out about you?

Hmm, good question. Maybe that I’m a grandma who has a lead foot. My DH recently bought me my dream car, a 5.0 Mustang. It’s shiny and black and goes like Jack the bear, I love it!

8.) Do you have any special talents?

Rose gardening. I love roses and currently have about fifty different varieties growing in my yard.

9.) What was the one piece of advice you received when you were an aspiring author that has stuck with you? Why?

Be social. You need to gain a following on Social Media if you want to sell books. But don’t fall into the trap of being a door-to-door salesman. No one likes to have things shoved in their face. Be friendly, be thoughtful, be funny. The rest will fall into place.

10.) If you could come back as any animal – what would it be?

A cat. They’re fiercely independent, yet when they love, it’s a gift.





The Rebel”s Redemption:

Annie Campbell's predictable and cozy life gets turned on its side when her son's prodigal father returns to town. Then an old enemy shows up and the outcome will not only place her in danger, but their son as well.

Jared Martin left Tidal Falls a hotheaded youth, and has seen his share of violence in the eight years he’s served Uncle Sam. Floundering, he returns to his hometown to regain his bearings, bitter and disillusioned.
Then he finds out he’s a father.

When an old enemy follows and causes mayhem in the small town, can Jared overcome the odds to protect the woman he’s always loved and the child he never knew, or will it be too late?

Excerpt:

Jared stepped off the back deck and crunched through the newly fallen leaves, whistling for Jake. All that answered him was the rasping hiss of an old barn owl disturbed from his perch. Where the hell? He shook his head and started down the sidewalk, hoping he hadn’t gotten too far. Jared had already learned Jake had a mind of his own earlier in the day when they’d gone for a walk. They’d started out with Jake practically dancing with excitement, stopping to sniff out every other bush. But when Jared turned north at the end of the block intending to stop by his old friend, Ty Garrett’s place, Jake balked and headed off in the opposite direction.

“When Nick gets back, I’m having a little chat with him. Puppy obedience school mean anything to you?”
As they neared the end of the next block he suddenly got an idea of where Jake might be heading in such an all-fired hurry. Sure enough, the dog detoured into the next alley and headed straight for the back door of the Grits and Grace Café. Damn. Jared had planned to let his mother know he was back in town. He just hadn’t had a chance yet. He could just imagine her surprise. He’d stayed away for years, now here he was back for the second time after only a few months.

The smell of fried onions and bacon had his stomach rumbling. Jake stood at attention, eyes trained on the screen door where they could hear the sizzle and hiss of frying and the faint sounds of the morning crowd waiting to chow down. His tail began wagging a second before the back door slammed back on its hinges and out came his mom’s best friend and long-time employee, Susan. She held a large ham bone in one hand while the other reached for a pack of smokes from inside her shirt. “Good morning, Jake. I thought I heard you out here. Look what Grace saved for you, lucky boy.” She held it out and the contrary mutt wrapped gentle teeth around the hank and sank to the ground to feast.

Susan caught sight of Jared and let out a squeal he was pretty sure could be heard three states over, before rushing to throw herself into his arms. The remembered scents of coffee, fryer, and smoke from her graying hair made his arms clench her tight.

“Jared Matthew Martin, what in the world are you doing hiding out in back alleys? Does your momma know you’re here? She never made a single peep about it. I can’t believe you’re back in town. You look good, a little thin, but good. Your mom’s cooking will fix that soon enough. Well come on, what do you have to say for yourself, cat got your tongue?”

He laughed and tightened his arms around her skinny ribs once more before setting her back to get a good look at her. “How can I get a word in edgewise with you blathering on like that?” He ducked and grinned when she gave him a cuff on the shoulder. She looked just the same, a few more lines at the edges of her eyes, maybe a couple of age spots he didn’t recall, but otherwise just the same.

“When are you going to let me take you out on the town, Sue. We’d show ‘em how to have a good ol’ time.”

“You haven’t changed a bit, you rascal. Still the handsomest devil I know. Biggest charmer too,” she quipped. Her eyes shone with mirth, obviously not buying his blarney. “So really, what are you doing back in our neck of the woods? And why do you have Nick Kelley’s dog, Jake?”

Hearing his name, Jake’s ears perked and he looked from one to the other of them as if to say, “See, aren’t you glad I brought you here?”

Jared explained he was dog-sitting, and gazed enviously as Sue lit one up before offering him the pack.

He shook his head regretfully. “Those things are going to kill you, you know.”

She rolled her eyes in reply.

“I just arrived yesterday, and haven’t had time yet to call Ma. So no, she wasn’t keeping any secrets from you.” He leaned a little closer and inhaled as her smoke billowed into the air.

“Well, you’d better go in and see her now. It won’t be long before she knows you’re here. You know this town.” She winked and gave him a little nudge.

Yeah, he did. That was one of the reasons he’d left.

Suddenly Jake stood, his focus back on the screen door of the diner. With a joyful yelp he took off running just as two young children came tumbling out the back door. “Susan,” a little tow-headed girl called, “Grace says you better get back in there before she blows a gasket. A big crowd of high school kids just came in.”

It was Jessica Sheridan, Sara’s daughter. A young boy followed close behind. Jared remembered her from his trip with Frank to Tidal Falls last spring. When they caught sight of Jake, both kids started chattering like a couple of magpies. “Jake, what are you doing here, boy? Look, Chris, it’s Jake.” Jessica threw her arms around her beloved pet as the boy, Chris, looked on with a wistful smile.

“I see that, silly. Hi, Jake. Hi, boy. How you doing, Jake?” He tentatively held out his hand. Jake gave him a big sloppy lick, and a spontaneous giggle erupted from the kid.

Jared squinted, and took a closer look at the child. That laugh, it sounded familiar, but he couldn’t quite place it. He stood a little shorter than Sara’s daughter, sturdy with reddish-brown hair and a splatter of freckles across his cheeks and nose. When the kid realized there was someone on the other end of Jake’s leash and looked up at him, Jared sucked in a harsh breath. Those eyes. He knew someone with that exact shade of fern green eyes. That giggle…suddenly all the dots connected and his guts tightened up like he’d been sucker-punched.

Annie.    


and buy link for the book: http://bit.ly/14PHxfM

1 comment: