Okay so it looks like I fell off the planet. Promise - I'm still here. The last four years have been ... hard. There's no other word for it. Everything is fine. I'm fine, but I've been the caregiver of my mom who has Dementia. Between her needs, work, etc I seem to have lost control of my time. I am still writing and am trying hard to get back to my blog.

In case you weren't aware Phaze and HSWF which where under the Mundania Umbrella have closed. I was smart enough to get my titles back before all this happened. I'm happy to say the three books I sold to HSWF have been picked up by Melange Books and are available through their Satin Books imprint. I have even sold a new title to them called Magical Quest due out in 2022

I have also been lucky enough to find a publisher for my Vespian Way series. I'm now with Blushing Books under the name of Bethany Drake. I have five titles out with them right now and am close to submitting two more. There's Desire's Destiny, Desire's Duty and Desire's Promise. Then there is two in my werewolf series, Tears of the Queen and Legend of the Tears. I have just finished the rough draft of the third book in the series and have plans for a fourth one the moment I submit it.

I'll probably still be sporadic here on the blog. Unless I win the lottery and can hire someone to help me I can't avoid it, but know I'm still here still working hard in the background and am hoping to do better at keeping my blog alive.

Barb:)



Saturday, May 2, 2015

Meet My Latest Guest: Ann Raina!

I want to welcome Ann Raina! First I’d love you to introduce yourself.

Tell us about your latest release.

Kisses and Chains tells the story of Shian Crayn, who is fleeing from his pursuer, Culma Verde, to the planet Radavé. He doesn’t know that all foreigners are considered workers and he consequently ends up owned by a wealthy trader. To his luck, the daughter of the house finds the young man very attractive and soon they escape together. But that’s only the beginning of their adventure.

Now I have a few questions for you – I have found readers do like to know fun things about us writers.

1.) Who is your favorite villain – it can be from a book (even one of yours), movie or TV show. And why?

The villains have the better parts in a movie. They can be reckless, mean, full of irony and condescence. They have the wider range of emotions and options throughout the story. The best villains have their positive moments and thus become more believable. See Alec Trevelyan (Sean Bean) in Bond’s Goldeneye. He gives the villain a very human touch, a man to hate but also to be sorry for. Or take Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore in The Vampire Diaries. He’s smooth, eloquent, an excellent lover and still he’s a bad boy. A man with charisma and unpredictable. That’s what makes a good villain.

2.) Who is your favorite character out of your books? Why?

I loved to write Project: Recruitment. The main character, Sidarra, is confronted by a new people with different backgrounds and different cultures. First, he’s set aback, but soon realizes he can be a valuable part of their society and still remain the man he was. Not to forget that he keeps his humor intact.

3.) What do genre do you write? What made you pick that one?

I write erotic romance, set in science fiction surroundings, and add some funny moments to every story. I love to develop strange living conditions, foreign cultures and completely different behavior rules. Science fiction offers a wide range of possibilities if you stick to the rules you set. In Kisses and Chains all families are traders and deal with workers as well as gems, water or food. There are no police forces, no judges, or military personnel. Consequently, they all employ guards and have to take care of their possessions but still there’s a strict code of accepted behavior, and every neighbor is eager to fulfill those rules up to a point where’s it’s only funny.

I also wrote two contemporary romances, Spice for Your Life and No Fool. I just follow my mood and the ideas coming to my mind.

4.) What are you working on now?

I did a report about a rich young man, who angered his parents by wasting money all the time, which triggered a short story about how to deal with such a man if all other measures fail. I’m two thirds through the story and, yes, the young man learns his lesson. Not easily, but in a way he had never thought about.

5.) What got you to start writing?

The wish to write stories has accompanied me since I attended school. Then Star Wars was released. Two hours of impressive, new ideas were suddenly offered, but it wasn’t enough for me. My mind spun around the characters and what more they could live through. It was the beginning of fanfiction though no one knew that term back in those days.

6.) Where do you get your ideas from?

Ideas hit me. They follow me. They come to my mind and want to be regarded and weighed and judged. And then there’s my muse, who also plays around with those ideas and scenes. And if she says, the idea could work out for a whole story we outline the plot and the characters. It’s always the funniest part – brainstorming. We’ve spent whole afternoons with plotting, accompanied by a lot of coffee and cookies. Oh, some good ideas come while I’m in the kitchen, baking bread or cake. Or cookies. And, no, I haven’t ruined a recipe because my thoughts wandered through strange landscapes…

7.) What would people who read your work be surprised to find out about you?

None of the characters I describe in my books reflect on my real life.
8.) Do you have any special talents?

Besides writing, I love to ride. I bought a horse two years ago spend many hours in the woods with it. At home, I have a tendency to work in the kitchen, baking. My collection of recipes would fill a library.

9.) What was the one piece of advice you received when you were an aspiring author that has stuck with you? Why?

My teacher at high school taught me that the characters’ idioms reflect their social status. A bank director speaks another dialect than a worker at the harbor. The characters an author creates are only believable if they fit their role in every detail.

10.) If you could talk to any famous figure (present, past or fictional) who would it be and what would you talk about?

I would have loved to meet with Sir Peter Ustinov, no matter the subject. I’m sure I could have learned so much from him. He was such a talented man, who left us too early. I admire him very much.

11.) What song would you say describes your life?

Always look on the Bright Side of Life. People tend to make their lives much more complicated than it usually is. If you can sit back and relax, take a step back and try another angle to weigh the problem at hand, you might be able to find a solution without cramps in your brain.

12.) If you could come back as any animal – what would it be?

I’d like to be one of my cats – days filled with games, food, and, yes, sleep. I sometimes miss hours of sleep and envy my cats, which can stay on my bed while I have to leave it. Darn.





Blurb:

On the run, Shian takes a spaceship to Radavé, not knowing that his life will be turned upside down. Culma Verde, a headhunter, is on his heels and known to never give up. Can his new love Keila help Shian out?


Excerpt:

Shian wanted to embrace her, but the chains did not allow it. He cursed without words. The restrictions reminded him every minute that he was nothing but a piece of Delion’s valuable collection.

Keila sighed. “So I sit here on the estate of my father, wait for the right man, and until that happens, I have not much to do.” She put away the glass and caressed Shian’s face. She smiled through sadness. “I should not bring this upon you. I’ve been bored and frustrated for a long time. You’ve brought some light back to my life. So you’d better forget what I said.”

“I guess I understand you better than you think. You sit in a cage, too, and don’t know how to escape. It’s just that you don’t wear the chains in the open.”

Keila kissed him tenderly, playing her tongue in his mouth. When he went along, she slipped from the couch to get closer and the kiss got wilder.

“I want you,” she whispered. “I wanted you from the first day. I haven’t felt so alive for a long time.”

“But I’m not allowed to—”

“I know, but I want you. Please, Shian, please.”

Shian had never been asked more nicely, but still her father’s threat rang in his ears. He should not try and get closer to any woman, especially not the most valuable firstborn daughter. Get your hands off her! That’s madness!

When he didn’t respond, Keila drew back.

“It’s not that I don’t want you,” he confessed quietly, looking down at the chains holding him. “But I’m not out for castration if your father finds us.”

“You are right.” She licked her lips and a mischievous smile played around the corners of her mouth. She was blushing and looked very lovely. “I have to make better preparations.”

“You will—”

She put a finger on his lips. “I will find a way.”


Author Bio:

Ann Raina lives and works in Germany. Besides writing, riding is one of her favorite hobbies. She loves to be outdoors and enjoy the woods in her region. She’s also a gardener and a baker if time allows. With eXtasy Books, she has published eight novels so far, and a new erotic romance is a work in progress.

Carpe diem!

Buy Links:


It’ll also be available via Amazon etc. later. The URL does not yet exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment